Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I need a hero!...or heroine ;)


Connor Fraser, a hero with all the qualities that make him great and yet he has his flaws that make him human.
Cailin MacMillan, not your typical subservient medieval woman. Filled with spirit and ready to challenge the men in her life every chance she gets.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0065KX8P8
Heroes and Heroines, what makes them great?
Strength and conviction in the face of adversity, compassion,resourcefulness, tenacity, the ability to inspire, to touch our hearts, and to make a reader stand up and cheer, are all qualities writers strive for in their heroines and heroes. The dictionary describes a heroine/hero as a distinguished woman/man of courage or ability, admired for her/his brave deeds and noble qualities. A man/woman emulated and revered for their achievements, heroic acts, and talent.
However, while their assets make them great, their faults make them human.

As writers, developing strong, unforgettable protagonists—characterswho drive a story as well as ones with whom a reader can identify—is both challenging and rewarding on many levels. Readers live vicariously though well developed leading ladies and men they admire. They are our portal to a world of fantasy, adventure and romance.
Strong primary characters are conjured in the fertile mind of an author, or can be based on a person who has made an impact on their lives. Sometimes, they are a combination of both. True
heroes and heroines come in many forms and from many walks of life. Be they a teacher or a mentor, a millionaire playboy or a down-home cowboy, a vampire or angel, a nurse or a mother, a warrior or a poet, each is unique and memorable in their own special way.
Where to you get your inspiration for hero and heroine?
What qualities are a must and what faults will you allow?
Do you have a real life hero who inspired you or your characters?
Don't forget a copy of my book Highland legacy will be given to one commenter during the month of March on Tues Tidbits with BJ Scott.
leave your email addy so we can contact you.
Happy Spring and Happy writing!

11 comments:

Shiela Stewart said...

Great post BJ!

You are so right about flawed heroes and heroines. They have to be somewhat realistic. I think the days of the swashbuckling men and swooning women is long past.

Callie said...

Hi B. J.

I'm a little out of breath running from your chat, past here, and then onto SMP, lol.

My husband actually inspired all my heroes. Every one of my heroes are REALLY nice guys. And that's my husband.

Okay, off and running...

Meggan Connors said...

Love myself a flawed hero.

I'll allow for just about any flaw, as long as I can hold out hope for redemption. I tend to like my heroes on the snarky side...my husband is that way, too. If a hero can make me laugh, I like him automatically!

B.J. Scott said...

I agree Shiela the days of the hero being perfect and the heroine a sniveling woman who could not find her way out of a paper bag without help are long gone.

They must have qualities to make you love them, but being flawed makes us love them more

B.J. Scott said...

I agree with you too Callie. My hubby is a sweetie and I make sure all my heroes have some of the same qualitied and model the faults after him too ;)

B.J. Scott said...

Hi Meggan

One can only appreciate a flawed hero to the fullest if they have one of their own. Otherwise why would you want to be with him?

love and fix em something women have been trying to do for centuries lol

Ann Montclair said...

I love well-drawn characters with which I can empathize and relate. Great post, BJ.mosient

Ann Montclair said...

"mosient" was the secret word to prove I'm not a robot. Don't know how it got into the post. LOL.

Cynthia Gail said...

Our flaws keep us humble and appreciative of those who can love us in spite of them.
And I think I could easily swoon over your cover : )

B.J. Scott said...

LOL funny Ann. Gave me a reason to think and wonder. Thanks for stopping by. Without great characters the books would be nothing

B.J. Scott said...

Thanks Cynthia and you would not be the first person to swoon of Jimmy Thomas as my Highlander...myself included. The day it arrived, I must have stared at it for an hour. The cover for next one, Highland quest will have a hard time topping it, that's for sure.