Monday, May 21, 2012

TUES TIDBITS WITH BJ SCOTT

Today on TUES TIDBITS we welcome Author Callie Hutton. Welcome Callie and congrats on your new release, AN ANGEL IN THE MAIL Scheduled for release this week at Soul Mate Publishing.Can you tell us a little about yourself?


My first love is being a mom. Second, reading, which naturally segued into writing–for me, anyway. I’ve been making up stories since elementary school, and writing gave me a way to turn off the voices in my head. I’ve had a number of things published, and about a year and a half ago, decided to put it to the test and write a book. Although I’ve lived in several states, Oklahoma is where I’ve hung my hat for the last several years, but I hail from New Jersey. I’m an Okie-Jersey girl. And proud of it. I love my animals, two rescue dogs and a rescue cat. My daughter, Anna, still lives at home while she works on her Law Enforcement degree at Oklahoma State University. My son has given us whiplash the last few years, moving in and out. Currently he’s in–I think. Add to our group my hubby of thirty-five years, and things are always hopping. You can catch me hanging out at Facebook, Twitter- @CallieHutton, and my web site www.calliehutton.com Stop by sometime and say hello.

We asked Callie to write a blog post that can be geared to both readers and writers.

How compatible were you and your significant other when you first met? So many of my friends and relatives, as well as myself clashed in the beginning of the relationship. My mother thought my father was an idiot when they first met. They were married 50+ years when she died. My husband and I had our third date before I stopped thinking of him as a jerk. You wonder why I would have three dates with such a person? Because we worked together, had so much fun, and would go out at the end of our shift for a drink. Loved his company, thought he was so funny. But the dates were disasters. The theme of most romance stories is conflict in the beginning between the hero and heroine. A good story keeps the conflict going for a while, the tension up, the sexual tension strong. Why do so many lovers clash in the beginning? Is it the strength of the attraction that’s frightening? Or is it truly that opposites attract? Or maybe there really are that many jerks out there. In my book, An Angel in the Mail, Nathan Hale’s mail order bride, Angel Hardwick, is supposed to be ready to take over all the household chores and assist in raising his five children. However, she’s spent her whole life with servants seeing to her every need. Do you suppose they clash in the beginning? Or is Nate an easy-going sort of guy who will overlook Angel’s fumbling attempts at running his household? How about you and your significant other? Clashes at the beginning? Or smooth sailing from the get-go?

1.Describe yourself in five words: Using only verbs or adjectives.
Happy, positive, content, helpful, friendly

2. The animal's you choose as your favorites or to surround yourself say a lot about who you are and how you think. What are your three favorite animals and why? If you don't like animals, that is okay too. Tell us why.

Pigs: because they make cool sounds
Dogs: They love you no matter what
Cats: they allow us to exist in their world

3. If your hero and heroine were on the Newly Wed Game. How would they answer these questions?
Tell us about the first time you made love. Where was it and was it
(a) Like hells afire
(b) A lesson in anatomy
(c) Like a children's game of show and tell

In a hotel room where I took Anne to get away from the interruption of my five kids. It was like hells afire ;)

The most annoying thing about my husband/hero is...

He’s such a kind person, I am hard pressed to find fault. If I had to, it would be that he tolerates everyone, including those determined to come between us.

The most endearing thing about my wife/heroine is...

How hard she tries to do household tasks, but never quite makes it.

4. Finally, if you were stranded on a desert island what five things would you want with you?
a laptop, a kindle, internet access, sun block, cell phone

Thanks for being with us today. Good luck with your current book and future projects.

Book Blurb: An Angel in the Mail, set in 1861, unites newly penniless society belle Angel Hardwick and Nathan Hale, father of five, who is desperate for a wife to straighten his life out. Nate’s looking for someone who loves children and can easily take over the cooking, cleaning and laundry. Instead, he is getting Angel, whose culinary knowledge consists of weekly meetings with Cook to decide the family’s menu. Angel is a strong-minded young woman, resigned to her fate, and determined to make the best of her situation. But will her new husband allow for mistakes? Or will he send her packing when she burns meals and misplaces children? Nate just wants a peaceful, well run household, without the distraction of an attractive wife. However, his beautiful wife with a very distractible body is not giving him peace. Somebody lied, because despite what he was told by the Bride Agency, this beauty knows nothing about running a home, but she sure sets him on fire at night.
Buy link www.soulmatepublishing.com
And check it out on Amazon, Barnes and noble.

Also be sure and check out Callie's other books. A Run For Love and A Wife by Christmas. These wonderful novels are available at www.soulmatepublishing.com  and at Amazon and Barnes and Noble

19 comments:

Janna Shay said...

Great interview. Thanks for sharing and letting us get to know you better.
Much success with your book

Ann Montclair said...

I am looking forward to reading your book, Callie. Sounds unique and compelling!

B.J. Scott said...

Ann and Janna, thanks for stopping by. As always your support is appreciated.

Meggan Connors said...

Great interview! The book sounds great!

Callie said...

Thanks for stopping by ladies. I'm excited about An Angel in the Mail. I personally love mail order bride stories, and this one was fun to write. B. J. thanks for hosting me.

Kirsten Arnold said...

Great interview! Loved the Newlywed Game questions.

Callie said...

Thanks, Kristen. Glad you stopped by.

Shiela Stewart said...

Great Interview!

Our stories sound very similar. LOL

The first day I met my hubby he squirted ketchup and mustard at me, the sprayed me with water. We both worked at Burger King. I hated him yet weirdly, I couldn't get him off my mind. LOL We've been married for 26 years. :)

Calisa Rhose said...

Great topic, Callie. Hubs and I clashed. He was married in the process of a divorce and I was still dating freely. I'd come home from a date to find him buttering my dad up! lol They became quite good friends while I was out. I finally had to stop dating to keep him away from my daddy...then he proposed and I said no, three times. Didn't work. We still married less than two months after we met! :) It will be twenty-nine years come Sept 6th.

Ella Quinn said...

Great interview. Congratulations on your release. It sounds like a wonderful book.

Darcy Flynn said...

I love mail order bride stories, too! I can't wait to read it!
Best and here's to many, many sales!

christine warner said...

Fun interview....enjoyed your post too Callie :)

I have to admit that when I first met my hubs (on a blind date) it was smooth sailing and the boat hasn't hit shore yet :)

Callie said...

Thanks for saying hello, ladies. I appreciate you stopping by. Yes, true love sometimes hits you smack in the eye (like the story I'm writing now), or it takes a while to develop. Either way, love is grand. Hubby and I are married 36 years this September. Who'd thunk??

Ceri Hebert said...

LOL Great post!! When I first met my hubby it was pure lust, nothing in common. I was a 28 year old divorcee with a 4 year old and he was barely old enough to drink, but man he was hot! Now, nearly 17 years later we have much more in common. And he's still pretty hot (in a nearly 40 year old guy way)

Good luck with Angel In The Mail! I know it's going to be a huge success!

Alicia Dean said...

Great post...can't believe your release date is tomorrow! So excited for you. I haven't read a mail order bride story in ages. Looking forward to it. Best of luck!

Cynthia Gail said...

Great interview - can't wait to read your new release. Congratulations!

B.J. Scott said...

Thanks to everyone who stopped by today. Was at work with no internet ;( and just got in so catching up.

Callie said...

Thanks, Alicia and Cynthia. I can't believe it's tomorrow, either. Pretty excited.

Ally Broadfield said...

Great interview. Which pig sound is your favorite?