Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Week three of my screenwriting course.

What have I been up to since the last update?
I finished writing the Character Analysis and handed it in. I’ve never taken any university courses so this is all new to me.  I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to just answer the questions and describe my character or if I was supposed to write it up like an essay. I finally went with answering the questions and guess what? I got it right. Well, as right as anyone else did. All the other students filled it out the same way I did. It really was interesting to get into the mind of the character, to look at her life, her world and explain why she does what she does and what conclusion she had.

This week assignment is:.
 
Introduce us to your protagonist this week by summarizing your brainstorming work into a 2- or 3-paragraph biography of your character. Try to write in specific, concrete terms. We can only get to know a film character by what they do and say. Avoid editorializing (explaining what they think or feel).

Though this sounds easy, I’m finding it’s not. Its not as easy as saying she’s a working mother with relationship issues. Nope, there is more to it than that. The brainstorming work mentioned earlier refers to the Bubble Technique. Never heard of it. Here is the premise.

The Bubble Technique works like this: Open a blank page in your journal. In the centre, write down a positive or negative value in life that is really important to you or that really bothers you when you see it displayed in someone. Here are some examples: Courage, endurance, greed, impatience, patience, sacrifice, isolation, freedom, eating/sleeping disorders, sibling rivalry, guilt, atonement, forgiveness, victory, defeat, self esteem, jealousy, revenge, betrayal, justice, slavery, ignorance, wisdom, insanity, failure, stupidity, neglect, intelligence

Circle that word in the centre of your page, and then all around it write words that you associate with that value. Circle each one of them, and draw lines between all the words that you think are connected.

I’ve never heard of this technique and it wasn’t as easy as it looks. On top of doing the Biography I need to watch The Pianist. I’ve never seen it, but I have heard good things about it.
So far I’m not getting tired of doing my homework. Watching movies is pretty cool.

That’s my update this week. Stay tuned to see how I did.

No comments: